How does WIC Support Breastfeeding
Research has shown that there is no better food than breast milk for a baby’s first year of life. WIC mothers are encouraged to breastfeed their infants in order to provide the greatest health and emotional benefits to both mother and baby.
- All WIC prenatal participants are provided information on the benefits of breastfeeding and the opportunity to attend an Intensive Breastfeeding class to prepare them for nursing their infants.
- Support is provided through counseling and breastfeeding educational materials.
- Breastfeeding mothers receive a greater quantity and variety of foods than mothers who fully formula feed. Exclusively breastfeeding mothers receive the largest food package.
- Breastfeeding mothers are eligible to participate in WIC up to the infant’s one year birthday. Non-breastfeeding moms are eligible up to 6 mos. after delivery.
- Breast pumps are available to help support the initiation and continuation of breastfeeding.
- WIC has trained lactation counselors to assist our breastfeeding moms in all ways possible to help make their breastfeeding experience positive and successful.
If you need help with Breastfeeding, call the WIC office at 217-431-2662 ext. 228.